Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why can't my son just be a Pirate?

 

Why can't my son be a pirate or a police officer or even an Angry Bird for Halloween? I was talking to my friend the other day telling her how I made my son's costume last year, bought the one before that at a garage sale and was given the ones before that. I think the only costume I've ever bought from the store was a tiny pumpkin that he wore when he was about 3 months old. Even then, we didn't take him trick-or-treating with it. We wanted to show him off but were too embarrassed to be collecting candy on behalf of a 3 month old who obviously wouldn't eat it.



Last year he was Luke Skywalker and although the store had plenty of costumes available, the creativity junkie in me took over. You know the one that swears she can make a costume that looks better than the store-bought version. So I did.


I had just finished a slipper pattern so I made some big slippers and extended them upwards for boots that he could slip on over his shoes. I also made a dickie-type neck wrap which was bigger on one shoulder than the other (like Anakin wears in the new animated series.) I found an old karate jacket at the thrift store on base and it was super cheap because the pants weren't included. Then I crocheted (my craft of choice at the time) a belt for my Jedi added a pair of khakis and off he went. He got so many compliments and was so proud to be wearing a costume that nobody else had.

This year he wants to by Lloyd Garmadon from (BIG SURPRISE) Ninjago. At first I dismissed this and tried to convince him to choose a pirate costume from Walmart. But then those creative juices started to flow and I began to feel that making a costume for him wasn't an obligation but a privilege. How many parents make their costumes these days? I'm going to watch on Halloween and see if I can spot even one. Do the same and let me know how that works. I feel proud when my son is rocking his one of a kind costume that the other kids wished they had.

Lloyd Garmadon

So with my completely egotistical motivation fully fueled I went in search of a black hoodie and some fabric paint. My naive husband said I should get one that already has a set of skeleton ribs on the front. I laughed at him. Short of spending a bunch of money for a customized one online that wasn't going to happen. But I walk into Target and voila! There was a black hoodie with skeleton ribs already on it. I had to text him a picture.

 
He already has a cape in his tickle-trunk (any Mr. Dress Up fans out there?) leftover from a Darth Vader costume. Now all he needs is a purple belt and a green 5 over his heart.


The purple belt is easy - I have purple yarn in my stash. The green 5 was more challenging. I had made a blanket with numbers on it a couple years ago so perhaps I could get out that pattern and crochet a green 5 and sew it on. After a trip to Michael's I came home with a 5 stencil, lime-green fabric paint, lime-green yarn, a swatch of lime-green felt and a roll of iron-on adhesive.

 
My little Lloyd wannabe decided that he'd like to cut the 5 out of the felt but then decided the color wasn't quite right. I showed him the crocheted 5 but he wasn't a fan (gasp) of my work. He decided he wanted it painted on. Of the three options; sewing on a crocheted applique, sewing on a felt cut-out or painting on a 5, painting one on scared me the most. That's pretty permanent. Oh well I think the hoodie was $15 so here goes. I used a stencil from a previous project and tested the paint on a old pair of sweat pants to make sure the green paint would show well on the black fabric. It did so I went to work on the hoodie. Three coats later and Voila.


 
I've got a tube of yellow face paint for his face and hands although I'm still considering an attempt at "Lego" hands out of yarn. Add a Darth Vader cape black sweatpants and his purple crocs and I think he is set. I'm not sure how many parents will recognize who he is but I think we've got a good shot! Worst case scenario he decides at the last minute to be a pirate after all and he's got a killer Lloyd Garmadon hoodie.
 
NOTE: Lego man mitts are finished and fabulous. See the picture above.  You can find the pattern at:

1 comment:

  1. How awesome Heather!! Loved all the pictures, I am sure Kayson will look awesome & be so proud that you made his costume! I look forward to seeing the final picture :)

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete